A Race for the Rest of Us
July 21, 2021
A RACE FOR THE REST OF US
A “race” for a good cause – to raise money for the Lane Council of Governments Senior Meals Program, which provides food to Lane County seniors who might otherwise go hungry. The distance is a whopping 0.5k – nope, that is not a typo! That is half kilometer, or about one third of a mile, or about 546 yards, or about 1640 feet, or about twice as far as the average good golfer can hit a golf ball off of a tee – you get the idea.
This is a challenging course but also easy, in fact, we’re not exactly sure what it’ll look like for you. Could go either way. There will be customized aid stations (you decide!), unique finishing lines (you decide!), photos (again, you decide!)
And if running/walking 546 yards isn’t your thing, there’s also a VIP option which requires no running or walking at all! Just hop in your car and drive around your block and DONE!
Every participant gets a t-shirt, a finisher’s medal, and pretentious bragging sticker to show off your race completion and Senior Meals support! Have you seen the oval stickers on the back of someone’s car with the numbers on them? Yup, like that, only much cooler!
- Distance: 5k – nope, that is not a typo! That is half a k, or about one third of a mile, or about 546 yards.
Race Day: 7/21 – 7/25(or whenever you want, we don’t really care)
- Swag: Want a shirt by race day? Register by July 4, 2021. We’ll have a packet pick-up on July 18 from 10am-2pm at 858 West Park Street Eugene, Oregon 97401 (Hopefully the apocalypse is over by then.) Or have your packet shipped directly to you!
- Reporting Deadline: July 31, 2021
- Time: Early morning or late evening or sometime in between, just something, something o’clock
- Course type You’ll probably just be running in small circles (you decide!).
- Location: Your house, your backyard, the parking lot at your favorite grocery store, your street, really – just about anywhere.
- Terrain Street. Concrete. Bark chips. Trail. Carpet. Wildlife. Trampled grass. Probably. (you decide!)
- Weather Yes
Invite a friend to run 6 ft. away from you!
In all seriousness, this is a real “virtual” race that you can sign up for! Do it on your own time and wherever works best for you. A portion of each registration will be donated to the Lane Council of Governments Senior Meals Program in Lane County.
Registration will be open through July 4, 2021.
Shirts & Bibs
Shirts and bibs are printed specifically for each participant. Shirts and bibs ship regardless of whether your time is reported. Once a registration is complete (paid for), it cannot be changed. Packet pick-up will be on July 18th from 10am-2pm at 859 West Park Street Eugene, Oregon 97401. Or have your packet shipped directly to you!
For tracking your distance and time, you can use whatever app or system that works best for you. All we need is the finish time. We use the honor system to verify results, so if you say you did, we have no reason to not believe you.
To report your finish time, https://runsignup.com/Race/OR/Eugene/ARacefortheRestofUsSDS and follow the prompts.
Results are just for fun – but see how you stack up. https://runsignup.com/Race/OR/Eugene/ARacefortheRestofUsSDS
ABOUT THE SENIOR MEALS PROGRAM
The Senior Meals Program helps people age 60 and older maintain their independence by providing food, friendship and safety check.
- Operates 11 Café 60 dining rooms around Lane County.
- Meals on Wheels volunteers, in partnership with Food for Lane County, deliver lunches and safety checks for their home-bound older neighbors.
Both programs serve adults age 60 and older and their spouses, regardless of their income. To learn more about our Senior Meals Programs please visit: https://www.lcog.org/160/Senior-Meals
We’re offering options to raise additional funds that can go to support this valuable program… this means the money donated stays in our community!
Frequently asked questions:
- This is just my speed, can I walk the whole way? Yes! Walk, run, skip, push or pull a wagon, you decide!
- Is this “race” wheel chair, power chair, and walker friendly? Yes! However you decide to roll to the finish!
- Is this “race” stroller friendly? Of course! You CAN push a stroller that far! Maybe even put a child in the stroller!
- Is this “race” dog friendly? Hey, if you want to only walk your dog that short distance, go for it!